ADHD or Autism – The difference
ADHD is basically a disorder of childhood behavioral. Around 11% of American children between the ages of 4 to 17 are diagnosed with the ADHD disorder.
Types of ADHD Disorder
There are three different types of ADHD disorder that are,
- Combine of both hyperactive-impulsive and inattentive.
Mostly the children are diagnosed with this ADHD disorder at the age of 7. In terms of gender, boys are more diagnosed with this disorder. The disorder of Autism is also diagnosed in the children as compare to adults. Autism Spectrum Disorder ASD is basically a group of multiple disorders of the neurological complex. These disorders effects different acts of the patient that includes the way of communication is change, the way they started behaving and the mental and physical development. The ration of ASD patients is 1 in 68. In terms of gender, boys are four and half times more diagnosed with autism disorder as compare to girls.
Common Symptoms of ADHD and Autism
There are many people who are not aware of the ADHD and Autism disorder and even if their children are suffering from any of the disorder the parents are not even aware of it. This article is the best guidance for all those parents out there and you will be able to understand if your children behave unsuspiciously. There are many common symptoms that are found in ADHD and Autism. Following are some of the symptoms of ADHD and Autism are mentioned in detail as under.
- Very unresponsive to common stimuli.
- Concentrate on a single item and their focus is intense.
- The level of concern is lacking.
- Inability to reach and understand other people’s emotions and feelings.
- Kept on repeating the same movements, again and again, that includes twisting and rocking.
- Avoid eye contacting.
- The social interactions are impaired.
- The development is a delay.
- Can be distracted easily.
- Keep jumping from one task to another so quickly and they get bored from the current task so quickly.
- Act so unresponsively in the common stimuli
- Find difficulty in focusing or paying attention to one thing and they also cannot pay attention to one task.
- Talk nonstop when they start speaking and also blurting the things out.
- Feel trouble in sitting in one position or sitting still.
- Interrupt others conversations and activities.
- Unable to understand other people’s feelings and emotions.
Similarities between ADHD and Autism
- Inattention: The children facing the ADHD and Autism disorder face a lot of difficulties in paying attention towards anything. They cannot concentrate on one thing. They have an intense focus on selected things and topics
- Hyperactivity: Children suffering from ADHD or Autism might be very hyperactive and they behave hyper always. This means that the child is restless; they are constantly on the go and kept on talking extensively.
- Impulsivity: They act impulsively when the children suffering from Autism or ADHD and they do not know what they are saying or doing. They have impulsive behavior and they kept on irritating and interrupting others that include doing not let other people speak and keep interrupting, they are engaged in doing dangerous behaviors and actions, they become aggressive so quickly.
- Sensory Difficulties: The children having ADHD and Autism disorder also have the sensory disorder and that includes so many things like they do not like the smell and they never want to smell that thing, the taste of any food, any sound can irritate them and they might hate any color and they do not want to see that color again in their life etc.
When ADHD and Autism occur together?
Sometimes it happens that it is difficult to differentiate between the symptoms of Autism and ADHD. It is also possible that both of the disorders can also occur at the same time. One more thing is that not all the children are not properly diagnosed by any of the disorders. A child might have both conditions of symptoms that is why it is difficult to diagnose the disorder sometimes.
The children having ASD or ADHD mostly have the learning difficulties and they do not remember things very easily and they are also the lack of social skills. They do not know how to behave with people.
Understanding the Combination of ASD and ADHD
Since many years doctors are unable to diagnose a child with both disorders of ADHD and Autism. It is because of the impact of the combination of both disorders on both adults and children. According to the American Psychiatric Association APA have started since a long time that two different conditions cannot be diagnosed in a person.
According to the study and research of 2014, 30 to 50 percent of people with the ADHD disorder also having the symptoms of ASD. It is possible that both of the conditions are linked with the genetic issue.
Proper Treatment for ADHD and ASD
If you really want to help your children so you need to have proper treatment for them. For proper treatment, you must diagnose the disorder completely. You firstly need to search for the specialist who will help in treating the disorder whatever type of disorder it is. You have to go to the specialist to tackle the disorder and he will guide you how to treat the children for betterment.
There is no specific cure for the ASD and ADHD disorder. By treating the symptoms of the disorder can be a better treatment. You might need to change different treatments as the time pass and your child grows old. Scientists are doing a lot of research to find out the connection between both of the disorders of ASD and ADHD. Whatever symptoms your child has talked to your doctor and tell him about it whatever your child do for better treatment.